I figured it was about time that I put into words why I love ghee so much. You’ve seen me talk about it on San Diego Living, on grocery store tours and in EVERY SINGLE one of my cooking classes. Now I want to immortalize it on the web so you can also become lovers of ghee.
WHAT THE HECK IS IT?
Ghee is pure butter fat otherwise known as clarified butter. Regular butter is cooked until the water evaporates and you can strain out the protein solids leaving a deep gold, rich and soothing fat.
WHY WOULD I EAT IT?
First off it’s delicious and for me it doesn’t matter how good it is for me, if it’s not good then why bother?
• Your joints and your gut will thank you. Ghee has natural anti-inflammatory agents that help boost memory and reduce pain. It also aids in digestion and can help boost the immune cells in your intestines. Plus that extra fat will help lube things up so you can be extra bendy and stretchy in yoga.
• Lactose Intolerant? No problem! Because the milk solids have been removed most lactose intolerant folks can enjoy ghee instead of butter.
• You might lose weight. Ghee is a good source of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) which is a fatty acid that helps you convert food to energy easier. You can read more info here from Dr. Oz.
• Fat keeps you smart. Our brains need fat, especially good fat and ghee is a good fat. Dr. Michael Green says that your brain is made up of 60% fat and to function at it’s best, our brains need to maintain this level of fat. A lower amount of fat, in fact, can lead to neurological disorders.
My mantra is: If it says low-fat or no-fat – think chemical shit storm! Tweet This
I’m in. Now, what am I supposed to do with it?
You can use ghee like you would butter. Here are some of my favorite recipes:
• Make this popcorn and you’ll never want movie theatre popcorn again.
• Cook your pasture raised eggs in ghee for a great protein + fat fueled breakfast
• Add dimension to your sautéed greens by heating minced garlic and lemon zest in ghee before cooking your greens.
• Dollop a spoonful into this marinara sauce and make an already delicious sauce extra luxurious.